Ultimate Versatile Chocolate Cake (AEG)
230g unsalted butter, room temperature
540g caster sugar
420g plain flour, sifted
90g cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
380ml sour cream/full fat natural yoghurt
250ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
Two 8” round cake tins, greased and lined
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy – approximately 4 minutes. Then add the eggs and beat on a slow speed, gradually increasing until just evenly incorporated.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half to the batter, then the soured cream, then the remaining dry ingredients, keeping beating to a minimum.
- Once you have a smooth even batter, gradually add the coffee. The mixture will be very wet, so beat slowly to incorporate.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared cake tins and level out to the edges. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can scale this recipe up or down and use to make cakes of any size, or cupcakes. Ice and decorate as you wish – see my instagram for inspiration!
Always fill you cake tin around 3cm deep, and cupcake cases 3/4 full
Adjust baking time to suit – cupcakes need around 15 mins. larger cakes around 10 mins longer – but always test your cake by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the batter – when it comes out clean – its done!