Golden Honeycomb or Chilli Salt Honeycomb w/ Pumpkin Seeds
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Honeycomb is one of my favourite things to make in the kitchen – fun & simple to do. People often talk about the science of baking but this is one recipe that will make you feel like you’re actually back in chemistry class at school.
- 150 golden caster sugar
- 75 golden syrup
- 2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Sugar thermometer
- One baking tray or cake tin at least 4cm deep, lined
- Place the sugar and golden syrup in a pan with a sugar thermometer attached. Set over a low heat and stir slowly until the temperature reaches around 150°C. This might take four to five minutes, so be patient keep a close eye on the thermometer, as it might suddenly start to rise much faster.
- Remove from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and stir very quickly and evenly. It will bubble up as the bicarbonate of soda releases carbon dioxide very rapidly this is what makes the amazing honeycomb effect. Make sure you stir well or you may be left with a bitter, soapy taste.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking tray and leave to cool completely. Break the cooled slab of honeycomb into pieces to serve.Chocolate Dipped Honeycomb: Melt 100g of dark chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from the heat just before all the chocolate is melted and stir to melt completely. Break the cooled honeycomb into pieces of whatever size you like and dip them partly or completely into the chocolate. Set on a lined baking tray to cool and firm up.
Variation: Spice it up by sprinkling crushed chilli seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds & Malden salt over it as it sets
From Lily Vanillis Sweet Tooth
Photo by Romas Foord