Prep Time:10 mins
Cooking Time:15 mins
I decorated mine with dehydrated beetroot chips and purple carrot to create a little ‘hibiscus’ flower – these were originally designed for a food festival I baked for in San Miguel De Allende, Mexico.
- 6 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp malden sea salt
- 4 tsp honey
- 300g desiccated coconut
- one handful of grated, cooked beetroots
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted/ gas mark 6.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and constantly with a spatula until the mixture begins to dry out – about 15 minutes. Remember to scrape the bottom of the pan well to avoid burning.
- Scoop the mixture onto a tray lined with parchment, ideally with an ice cream scoop but any large spoon will do.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.
The macaroons will keep well for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container.