Prep Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:15 - 20 minutes
In the bakery, we make our own fresh apple and rose puree by cooking down apples with sugar and dried rose petals, but you can get the same delicious taste by adding apple sauce and a few drops of rosewater.
- 200g apple, grated
- 100g apple sauce
- 150g caster sugar
- 125ml olive oil
- 50ml apple juice
- 75g ground almonds, toasted
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a few drops of rosewater, to taste
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- a handful of caster sugar
- dried rose petals
One 12 hole cupcake or muffin tin, greased
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted/ gas mark 6.
- Whisk together the apple sauce and sugar, then slowly beat in the olive oil and apple juice in a steady stream until just incorporated.
- Mix together the ground almonds, flour and baking powder and then fold into the mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess liquid from the grated apple and add this and a few drops of rosewater to your mix. Be extra careful when adding the rosewater, it is a very strong flavour and just a few drops can make a huge difference.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tins, top each one with a slice of apple and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until a cocktail sick inserted into the top comes out clean. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Keep stored in an airtight container for 2 – 3 days.