Prep Time:15 mins (plus chilling time)
Cooking Time:30 mins +
A Fruity Heart Galette perfect to share with your beloved. Feel free to get really creative with the fillings here. We love the creepy finger grape look.
Make the galette dough:
- 115g butter, cold and cubed, then put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour so its really firm
- 80g wholewheat flour
- 100g regular flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- An egg yolk or 2 for brushing
- Demerera/granulated sugar for sprinkling (optional)
For the grapes:
- 50g Water
- 75g Sugar
- Squeeze of Lemon
- Bunch of Grapes
- Sprig of Rosemary
- Mix the dry ingredients together evenly, then using your hands or a mixer on low, work the butter in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Combine the (cold) water and vinegar and gradually add to the mix and work gently to bring dough together. Make it into a ball and place in the fridge to rest for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature until its just soft enough to roll out.
Meanwhile, prep your grapes:
- Combine the water and sugar in a pan, with a squeeze of lemon juice and some rosemary (don’t overdo it, just a sprig will do) in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring this to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Place some grapes (I left mine on the stem) in the pan and poach gently for just a few minutes – you want them still firm and with the skins intact, just softened a little and infused with the rosemary syrup, stay with them and keep an eye on them, it will be over quickly.
- Remove from the syrup, drain and cool.
- When it’s ready to roll, roll your dough out to around 4mm thickness and cut pieces roughly to a heart shape, don’t worry about being neat, this is the beauty of the galette.
- Place some more grapes in the centre of your pastry heart, also in a heart (ish) shape, a bit bigger than you want the finished galette to be (you can make lots of smaller ones if you prefer)
- Now fold down the edges of the pastry to cover the sides. Neaten up the edges with your hands to sort of force it into as convincing a heart shape as you can manage (this isn’t a metaphor for Valentine’s day I promise).
- Brush the edges and all the visible pastry with your egg wash and sprinkle with the sugar if using.
- Place on a lined or greased baking tray and into the oven for around 30 mins or until the pastry is browning and cooked through.
- Once baked, I placed the additional poached grapes on top.
Please feel free to use any fruit you like – berries, apples, pears, apricots, peaches, plums and other grapes all work well. You can totally skip the sugar syrup & poaching and just chuck the fruit in the galette before baking, chop up the apples/pears/peaches/plums into slices around 1/2cm thick if using and just add a bit of sugar with them too if you like it on the sweet side (the galette dough isn’t very sweet).
I used finger grapes because I have always been fascinated with them even though they are really creepy and for some reason my local Turkish grocer always has them.