Prep Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Serves:250ml, enough for 12 tarts
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 3 egg yolks
- 260ml double cream
- 1/4 vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornflour and egg yolks by hand until light and fluffy. This works best if you whisk for 3 minutes, leave to stand for a few minutes, then whisk again for 3 minutes.
- Heat the cream with the vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pan until it reaches a simmer. Pour the heated cream over the egg yolks, whisking thoroughly all the time.
- Now transfer the mixture into a clean heavy bottom pan over a medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk, until its thick and creamy – approximately 7 – 8 minutes.
- Pass through a fine sieve and serve immediately.
NOTE: If using cold in a tart, take the bowl off the heat at the final stage and whisk for 2 minutes to speed up the cooling process. Transfer to the fridge to set for at least 4 hours, then spoon or pipe into your tart case.