Prep Time:40 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
115g unsalted butter, room temperature
280g caster sugar
1½ tbsp red liquid food colouring (Dr Oetker works well)
325g plain flour, sifted
30g cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cider vinegar
Two 18cm round cake tins, greased and lined, or 15 cupcake cases in a tray
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, starting on medium and increasing to high speed – the mixture should be pale and increased in volume, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs gradually, then the food colouring, and beat until just incorporated.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa and add half to the batter, beating to incorporate evenly and ensuring you scrape down the sides. Then beat in the buttermilk and finally the second half of the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, using a clean spatula or teaspoon, mix together the bicarbonate of soda and cider vinegar (it will fizz up) and fold it immediately into the batter – do not use the mixer, just fold evenly with a spatula by hand.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins or cupcake cases (using half an ice cream scoop as measurement). Bake for 20–25 minutes (15-20 for the cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.