Prep Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
At Bake For Syria 2 last Saturday we sold these Syrian inspired cupcakes. A defyingly light vanilla sponge is topped with my signature buttercream and then pomegranate seeds are scattered across. The combination of sweet and aromatic vanilla with sharp and refreshing bursts of pomegranate is heavenly – try for yourself!
330g plain flour, sifted
320g caster sugar
1.5 tbs baking powder
Pinch of salt
175g unsalted butter, room temperature
190ml whole milk
1.5 tsp good vanilla extract
Plus one pomegranate, seeds removed
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Beat in the butter until it is incorporated and the mixture appears to be evenly coated and looks like a fine crumble mix, 2-3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add the eggs and beat, first on medium, then on high, just until incorporated.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat, on medium and then on high, until the mixture is smooth and combined; it will appear a bit lighter in colour, 2-3 minutes.
- Put an ice cream scoop full of batter into the prepared cupcake trays, add a couple of slices of banana to the top of the batter and drizzle with salted caramel. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the sponge feels springy to touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Ice cupcakes with our vanilla buttercream recipe below, then scatter with pomegranate seeds.
TIP: Always scrape down the sides of the bowl in between adding ingredients.