Prep Time:30 mins
Cooking Time:15 mins
This is a super quick, easy and incredibly moist vegan cake which is a celebration of mulberry gin and the flavours and botanicals found in Boodles.
It’s really versatile so feel free to experiment with the filling and icing and make it your own.
- 220g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225ml soy (or other non-dairy) milk
- 15ml Boodles Gin
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 80ml olive oil
- 15ml white vinegar
- 30 raspberries
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 15ml Boodles gin
- 125g Icing sugar (you may want to add a little more or less – just add until you get a smooth consistency you like)
Quick gin raspberry jam:
- 300g raspberries
- 2 tbsp Boodles gin
- Dried mulberries (optional)
- Edible gold powder (optional)
- Nutmeg to grate
- Rosemary / flower for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine the sugar, baking soda and salt evenly with the nutmeg.
- Combine the soy (non dairy) milk, gin, olive oil and vinegar and whisk together with the dry ingredients until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture into individual cake tins greased with a little more olive oil (I used mini brioche tins), filling ¾ of the way to the top but you could use a cupcake pan, well greased with olive oil. I then popped 2 raspberries in each.
- Bake for 15 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, pipe or spoon on some of the icing. Fill with jam and garnish with the herbs, flowers and mulberries dusted with gold.
- Heat raspberries and gin in a heavy bottomed pan over a medium-low heat until thickening and the fruit falls apart (around 10 mins.
- Leave to cool completely before straining through a fine mesh sieve.
- Combine gin and icing sugar in a bowl with a whisk until you have a smooth, thick icing.