Follow this step-by-step guide on how to ice the perfect cupcake!
- Freshly baked cupcakes (TIP: if the cupcakes have high peaks then use a serrated knife to cut the peak off and flatten them out, this will make them easier to ice)
- A batch of buttercream
- A palette knife, angled or straight (personal preference!)
- Pipe or spoon a generous amount of icing onto the cupcake.
- Using the flat side of the palette knife, flatten the icing down. The aim of this step is to cover the sponge with icing, so there should be no gaps between the icing and the paper case.
- With the palette knife at a close angle to the icing, create a cone shape.
- Remove some of the icing from the top of the cupcake, this will make it easier to do the swirl.
- To create an iconic cupcake swirl, press the top of the palette knife down to create a circular/swirl-like movement.