Prep Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
Friands are a wonderful cake – they’re moist from the ground almonds, easy to make and lend themselves well to alterations. This recipe uses the classic combination of blackberries and apples, however feel free to use anything that takes your fancy. Although friands are typically oval in shape, here at Lily Vanilli we make ours into cupcakes, and we recently discovered the recipe works beautifully as a cake as well.
300g egg whites (i.e 10 medium eggs)
250g light brown sugar
225g ground almonds
112g gluten free flour
pinch of salt
12 hole cupcake tray lined with 12 cupcake cases
- Melt the butter (this is easiest done in the microwave)
- In a standing mixer, whisk the egg whites until bubbly/foamy (this will take a few minutes) then add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, continue adding the sugar (a few spoonfuls at a time), until you have reached a stiff meringue.
- Now start by alternately mixing in the melted butter and dry ingredients
- Ideally, use an ice cream scoop to measure out the quantity of batter into the cupcake cases – or, try and fill the cupcake cases until they are around 70% full with batter.
- Place a couple of blackberries (frozen or fresh) and a couple of slices of fresh apple onto the top of the batter
- Bake at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes, but it may need more time – the friands will be ready when they feel springy to touch.
To make the vanilla buttercream, follow the recipe here and add one tablespoon of blackberry powder (alternatively, the buttercream works perfectly left plain – or play around with the flavours as you please!)
The cupcakes will last about 3 days in an air tight container
n.b. if you do not have a gluten intolerance, this recipe also works wonderfully with regular flour too.