Prep Time:20 minutes, plus chilling time
Cooking Time:5 minutes
- 30g flaked almonds, toasted
- 600g milk or dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) broken into pieces
- 3 x 5g sachets of popping candy
- 1/2 vial of gold lustre dust
- clean paintbrush (optional)
- one baking tray, lined
- one cake tin or deep baking tray, lined
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan assisted/ gas mark 7.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over a low heat. Remove from the heat when the chocolate is almost melted and stir to melt the rest. Use the ‘lip test’ to determine when the temperature is just below body temperature.
- Roughly chop the nuts, to break up flaked almonds lightly with your hand, Fold these and the popping candy into the cooled (but still liquid) chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin or deep baking tray and refrigerate for 20 – 30 minutes, or until just starting to firm up but still malleable.
- Remove from the fridge, use a spoon to scoop out little chunks of the chocolate and shape with your hands into 20 or so rough little ‘rocks’. Place on a freshly lined baking tray and return to the fridge to set completely.
- Remove and coat each chocolate rock with the lustre dust, The quickest, easiest way to do this is to stir the chocolate rocks with a paintbrush in a small bowl containing the dust — this way it will coat from all angles more thickly and evenly than if you attempt to paint it on.
NOTE: Make sure you use a new paintbrush, or one that’s only been used for food.