For an easy Easter baking recipe, try my coconut macaroon nests filled with Lavolio chocolate eggs & painted almonds.
For the nests
- 6 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp malden sea salt
- 4 tsp honey
- 300g desiccated coconut
I’ll leave it up to you but I used a handful of Lavolio eggs, toasted almonds painted with edible lustre & edible Spring flowers.
- For the nests
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted/ gas mark 6.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and constantly with a spatula until the mixture begins to dry out – about 15 minutes. Remember to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan well to avoid burning.
- Scoop the mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper, ideally using an ice cream scoop but any large spoon will do. Allow the coconut mounds to cool a little before shaping with your hands to form the nests. You want to make sure the mixture is packed tight so it holds well together. Its lovely and gooey so will stick well to itself.
- Bake the nests for around 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Decorate as you like & serve.
The macaroons will keep very well for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container.