Prep Time:25 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
This is our signature chocolate cake recipe – it’s moist from the olive oil, and indulgently dark from the cocoa and coffee. Here we’ve paired it with a Baileys vanilla buttercream, and it’s an unbelievable combination. We created this recipe for our Bake for Syria event on Saturday the 29th of July. Baileys are supporting the event, so come along to try more Baileys inspired baking, or have a go at the recipe yourself. If you’d prefer, this recipe would also work perfectly as cupcakes (it would make about 12, and remember to shorten the cooking time slightly).
250g light brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
110g cocoa powder
250ml whole milk
240g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch sea salt
1 cup cooled espresso
100g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make up the coffee & leave it to cool
- Beat together the olive oil, sugar & vanilla
- Add the eggs & milk & beat gently until well combined
- Sift together the cocoa, bicarb, flour & salt. Stir until evenly combined, then beat into the batter until smooth.
- Slowly add the cooled coffee until just combined evenly.
- Pour into 2 well greased 9″ cake tins
- Bake 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the sugar, vanilla & Baileys
- Beat on low to combine, then on high for 5 minutes