Prep Time:2 hours
Cooking Time:50 mins
Cadbury’s Ghooost Egg Haunted Graveyard cake.
For the cake
250g light brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
110g cocoa powder
250ml semi skimmed milk
240g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch sea salt
1 cup cooled espresso
For the buttercream
100g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
75ml semi skimmed milk
7 tbsp cocoa powder
Gingerbread gravestones (recipe below)
flowers/herbs of your choice
1 egg yolk
200g unsalted butter, room temperature
200g dark brown sugar
115g golden syrup
12g ground ginger
5g ground cinnamon
560g plain flour, sifted
3g fine salt
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
Two baking trays, lined
- Make up the coffee & leave it to cool
- Beat together the olive oil, sugar & vanilla
- Add the eggs & milk & beat gently until well combined
- Sift together the cocoa, bicarb, flour & salt. Stir until evenly combined, then beat into the batter until smooth.
- Slowly add the cooled coffee until just combined evenly.
- Pour into your well greased tins
- Bake 20-25 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
For the buttercream:
- Beat the butter until light & fluffy
- Add the sugar, vanilla & milk
- Beat on low to combine, then on high for 5 minutes
- In a bowl, lightly beat together the egg and the egg yolk and set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat the butter, sugar and syrup together until very light and fluffy – approximately 6–7 minutes. Gradually add the beaten eggs, beating just to combine everything.
- Mix together the ginger, chilli and spices and add them to the batter. Then add the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and beat to bring it all together into a dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature, so it’s soft enough to roll. Lightly flour a clean, dry surface and your rolling pin and roll the dough out to approximately 1cm thick.
- Cut out your tombstones – you can do this freehand or using a cutter. Transfer them to your prepared baking trays and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.