Prep Time:45 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour
The three common factors in our seasonal frangipane tarts are: crisp pastry, sweet jam, and a moist frangipane. Here we’ve used the classic flavour combination of blueberry and lemon; we spoon lemon curd into the pastry, frangipane is piped on top and finally, blueberries are scattered in place. Below, there’s a recipe for lemon curd, but don’t feel obliged to make it – a jar of the stuff will happily do the job too.
180g lemon juice
2 lemon zest
Sweet shortcrust pastry
Click link here
Makes: 850g (fills 2 x 23cm tart or 24 individual tarts)
230g unsalted butter, room temperature
230g golden unrefined caster sugar
230g ground almonds
50g plain flour, sifted
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
24 individual tart tins
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together
- Add the sugar to the bowl and then whisk the eggs and sugar together well, add lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Transfer to a saucepan and put it over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the butter bit by bit, letting it melt into the mixture. The curd is done when it can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain and let cool.
- Beat butter and sugar together for approximately 3 minutes.
- Beat in the ground almonds, then add the eggs one at a time, beating between additions. Finally beat in the flour and citrus zest.
Blueberry and lemon frangipane tarts
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry to about 3mmm thickness and cut rounds to fit your individual tart cases.
- Press carefully into the cavities and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. At this stage you can also leave the tart cases in the freezer for up to 4 days, and start step 4 at a later time.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of lemon curd into the pastry cases then pipe or spoon frangipane on top to fill, scatter blueberries over the top of the mixture.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until the frangipane is golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- We decorate with a some blueberry buttercream (vanilla buttercream plus blueberry powder to taste), some fresh blueberries and edible flowers, but feel free to decorate as you wish – or leave plain!