Prep Time:20 minutes plus 30 minutes for the crumble
Cooking Time:35 minutes
Everyone should have a great crumble recipe up their sleeve, it is such a versatile and easy thing to make, you can add a pinch of spice or an extra handful of nuts to suit your own palate.
8 medium ripe English pears, cored, peeled and sliced lengthways into 1.5cm thick slices
100g light brown sugar
60g pine nuts
For the crumble (makes 400g)
110g unsalted butter, cubed and refrigerated
110g plain flour
110g dark brown sugar
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan assisted/gas mark 6.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and rub together with your fingers to form breadcrumbs. Spread the mixture on the lined baking tray and put into the freezer for 10 minutes (this will firm up the butter that you’ve softened with your hands).
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10–15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely before crushing up with your hands or a rolling pin.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan assisted/gas mark 5.
- Place the sliced pears and the sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook gently over a medium heat until the fruit begins to soften and starts releasing its juice – approximately 7 minutes, depending on the ripeness of your fruit. Add the blackberries and bring to the boil. Spoon into your pie dish.
- Allow the fruit to cool just slightly, then toss the pine nuts in with your crumble and sprinkle evenly over the top of the fruit.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pine nuts are starting to turn a light golden brown. Serve hot with ice cream, double cream, custard or yoghurt.