Prep Time:40 mins, plus chilling time - up to 2 hours
The ganache for these Baileys Pumpkin Spice chocolate truffles is absolutely delicious and shouldn’t be restricted to this recipe only – try it in a sweet pastry tart shell or to cover a chocolate cake. I used edible lustre dusts to decorate the nuts, which are easily attached to the truffle just as the chocolate is setting. In the past, I’ve also used a sprinkling of salt flakes, edible flowers, powdered spices and a drizzle of white chocolate. Have a look around the kitchen and see what comes to hand.
For the ganache
80g unsalted butter, cubed
200ml double cream
280g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
3 tbsp Baileys Pumpkin Spice
Pinch Sea Salt
For the coating
220g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
One baking tray, lined
- Melt the butter gently in a heavy-bottomed pan over a medium-high heat.
- Then add the cream and heat both until simmering but not boiling, you want it just hot enough to melt chocolate but no hotter.
- Pour the cream over your chocolate, stirring gently to melt it. If necessary you can transfer the mixture to a double boiler to finalise the melting, but you don’t want the mixture any hotter than necessary to melt the chocolate. Once melted, whisk in the Baileys Pumpkin Spice & salt.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl & refrigerate to set for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until set enough to mould with your hands.
- Remove from the fridge and use a teaspoon to scoop out balls of ganache – round them with your hands as neatly or roughly as you like and place them on a freshly lined baking tray. Transfer this to the freezer until frozen solid.
- To make the coating, place the remaining chocolate in a double boiler to melt, you dont want it hot, just melted, so you should take it off the heat when there is about 1/4 of the chocolate left unmelted and stir to melt the rest.
- Drop the frozen truffles into the chocolate 1 by 1, using 2 teaspoons to coat, then transfer them to a baking sheet, allowing any excess chocolate to run off. Decorate as you like & leave to cool and set at room temperature.